What is BA Film, TV and Web series?
India is considered as one of the powerhouses in media and entertainment. During and after pandemic, life had taken a digital shift, and so has the media industry. People are looking for entertainment on their phones. The equation is more the audience asks the more the industry produces. The demand for students with specialised knowledge in the domain is needed. Here come in picture BA in Film, TV & Web Series. It is a three-year undergraduate program that deals with the art of storytelling with the understanding of existing and evolving technologies. The domain falls under the umbrella of media studies. There is a vast scope in this field. Attractive opportunities are available across the globe in the media industry. In the rapidly evolving post-covid world web series have taken over the movies at theatres. All the platforms are full of innovative content and this domain has become a sought-after place for creative minds.
Bennett University offers one of the country’s best BA Films, TV and Web series programs. It is a skill-based program for students who desire to get into mainstream film production, broadcast programming and web series. The students learn how to work in a fast-growing and ever-evolving media and entertainment sector, especially in the newly emerging web series industry.
Eligibility for BA in Film, TV & Web Series
In order to take up BA in Film, TV, and Web Series, most of the colleges in India take students basis their entrance exam scores, personal interviews and group discussions. If you have a portfolio of your previous work in the related domain, then it will be a positive point in your favour.
Scope for BA in Film, TV & Web Series
The scope of the program is immense. We all know that the generation next is breathing through their entertainment on the phone. This is directly proportional to the job opportunities in the market. It is simple, the more the demand, the more the supply. Some of the career prospects after pursuing BA in Film, TV & Web Series are listed below:
- Film Director – A person with a powerful analytic vision, visualisation and conceptualisation, and one who can make the audience see the film, can be a perfect film director. This candidate must be an avid storyteller. The work of a director is not limited to films, but also includes music videos, TV series, advertisements, films and multi-camera productions.
- Broadcast Presenter – A broadcast presenter is a public face of a TV or radio program. A broadcast presenter is also known as an anchor on television & RJ on Radio. A broadcast presenter is trained to work on various platforms, including TV, radio or films.
- Location Manager – The newcomers to the film industry are often hired as location managers. A location manager is a person who takes care of designing the location and the location arrangements for a program.
- Camera Operator – The post of a camera person or a camera operator is one of the most demanding profiles yet a very crucial one. It is one of the most essential components of any film. In order to shoot any sequence, a cameraperson must have the extensive technical know-how of technology & creativity.
- Program Researcher – A program researcher is a highly valued member of the news media & radio. A program researcher is expected to provide creative inputs. They also offer assistance in the planning of a TV or radio program. They carry out extensive research on the program’s content and market research.
- Production Designer – Production designers take care of television, film, or theatre production visual concepts. They are expected to develop a design style for the director & producer’s graphics, sets, locations, props, camera angles, lighting, and costumes.
- Art Director – In the film industry, an art director is supposed to make a finished product look presentable and polished. An art director finds a very valued place in advertising agencies because they are supposed to collaborate with copywriters and create the draught campaigns.
- Video Editor – A video editor’s forte lies in film aesthetics as well as its technology. He is the one who arranges the footage in chronological order that makes it look like a story. After graduating with BA in Film, TV & Web Series, one of the most sought-after jobs is of an editor.
- Television Camera Operator – A television camera operator uses digital, electronic, and film cameras to capture necessary shots. They combine complex technology with creative visual skills.
- Television Production Coordinator – Television production coordinator works on various shows, including reality shows, soap operas, news & current affairs, dramas, and comedies. Later one can also choose to specialize in any one area.
- Concept Artist – A concept artist uses his imagination & artistic abilities to create images of animals, people, places, and moods. Working from a brief, one provides sketches of potential characters. Any project that involves a visual story may necessitate the use of a concept artist.
- Event Manager – They plan and organise promotional, business and social events. They make sure that the target audience is engaged and that the event. They are expected to organize seminars, conferences, and exhibitions.
- Public Relations Officer – A PR person uses all forms of media & communication to build and maintain their clients’ reputations. These range from public bodies or services to businesses & non-profit organizations.
- Special Effects Technician – A SFX technician is responsible for the physical, pyrotechnic and visual effects seen in TV, film, and web series. The wow factor often comes from this technician’s skills.
- VFX Artist – VFX artists is the one who creates photorealistic and digitally generated imagery. The role encompasses incorporating these effects into live-action in film, TV, and online & console gaming.
Media Studies at Bennett University
Bennett University offers a Bachelor of Arts (Journalism and Mass Communications) program in English and Hindi. Similarly, the university offers one year PG Diploma in Digital Journalism, Advertising & Marketing and FIlm, TV & Web Series. The School of Media offers this BAJMC as a three-year undergraduate program. Students are awarded the degree on successful completion of all compulsory courses that include 120 credits. They also have the option to earn an Honours degree by completing a group of Honours courses that total 30 credits.
The school offers state-of-the-art infrastructure and is equipped with three iMac labs and two Windows PCs labs. Each lab has 30 computers with the required software installed for the use of the students. Bennett University has been among the first media schools that has set up Mobile Journalism labs to help students create content for consumption on mobile phones.
The curriculum has been designed keeping in mind the requirements of the media industry. Choice-based Credit System helps the students create their own curriculum. It has been curated by the top-notch Editors of the Times Group and focuses on providing skill-based education which is at par with international standards.
The curriculum can be grouped under five heads or five well-defined layers which shape the learning, knowledge, and personality of students. These five layers are:
- Understanding of Concepts
- Building of Skills
- Knowledge of Liberal Arts
- Development of General Awareness
- Critical Thinking and Practical Learning through Projects
Bennett University is one of the best choices when it comes to pursuing media studies.